Score: Saginaw Valley 3, Northwood 0
Records: SVSU (19-5, 9-4 GLIAC) | NU (10-14, 6-7 GLIAC)
Location: Bennett Center – Midland, Mich.
Midland, Mich. - The SVSU volleyball team posted its 19th victory of the season Saturday (Oct. 31) afternoon, sweeping the Northwood University Timberwolves by a score of 3-0 on the road in GLIAC North Division play.
The Cardinals took a 1-0 advantage with a 25-22 victory in the first set. SVSU then went on to finish the sweep with wins in the second and third frames after posting 25-18 and 25-23 decisions, respectively, to close out the match.
Inside the Boxscore
- Kaylee Schmitt led the Cardinals with match-highs in kills (10) and blocks (7). She posted a .360 hitting percentage in the contest.
- Andrea Brigham posted eight kills and 10 digs.
- Kelly Vellucci had a match high 31 assists and three kills in the contest for the Cardinals.
- Brooke Tiller added another match-high in digs with 23 in the contest.
- Tamara Heller chipped-in with 15 digs defensively for the Cards.
- McKenzie Schuster added eight kills to the SVSU effort.
- This 19th victory for Saginaw Valley makes for the most wins in a season since 2010.
- Saginaw Valley held an 18-13 edge in blocked shots and a narrow 69-67 advantage in digs.
Chili's "Player of the Match"
Tiller earned Chili's "Player of the Match" honors after her 23 digs pushed her to a total of 1,745 for her career. The mark is a new program record for career digs. Her 477 digs on the year lead the GLIAC.
From Head Coach Will Stanton
"Our offense did not get going very well tonight, but fortunately our blocking and defense picked up the slack for us and we were able to come out on top. Kaylee Schmitt did a nice job at the net, both attacking and blocking, and all of our defensive players stepped up in the victory."
Up Next for the SVSU...
Saginaw Valley continue on the road on Tuesday (Nov. 3) at Wayne State for a 7:00 p.m. match before a pair of weekend home contests against Michigan Tech and Northern Michigan.