Score: Saginaw Valley State 3 - Malone University 1
Records: SVSU (13-2, 5-2 GLIAC) | Malone (5-12, 1-6 GLIAC)
Location: Cardinal Gym - University Center, Mich.
UNIVERSITY CENTER - The SVSU volleyball team improved to 13-2 overall on the season after claiming a 3-1 victory over the Malone University Pioneers on Saturday afternoon in the Cardinal Gym.
The Pioneers claimed the opening set with comeback 27-25 victory to take a 1-0 advantage in the match.
SVSU answered with a 25-18 win in the second frame, knotting the score at 1-1 after a strong .382 hitting percentage. The Cardinals had another solid offensive set in the fourth, posting a .360 mark in a 25-13 win to push the lead out to 2-1.
The Cards closed things out with a closely-contested fourth and final set, sealing the 3-1 victory with a 25-22 advantage.
Inside the Boxscore
- The victory for the Cardinals mark their fifth straight overall and upped their record to 13-2 overall and 5-2 in the GLIAC.
- SVSU hit .240 in the match and held the Pioneers to a .073 clip.
- Kaylee Schmitt hit .429 in the match, the fourth time she has hit over .400 on the 2015 season.
- Andrea Brigham had a match-high 19 kills for the Cardinals.
- Kelly Vellucci had 45 assists in the match, her second highest mark of the season.
- Tamara Heller racked-up 21 digs, a season-high and one shy of her career high. Vellucci added 20 digs to tie a season-high and Brooke Tiller had 19 for the Cardinals.
- Morgan Eddy had seven blocks for a match-high to go along with nine kills and a .316 percentage.
- The 13-2 record is now a program best for a start to a season through 15 matches.
Chili's "Player of the Match"
Kaylee Schmitt earned the honor after racking-up 14 kills, hitting .429 with three digs and four blocks.
From SVSU Head Coach Will Stanton
"We started pretty slow and weren't ready to handle Malone's tough serving but we settled down and got into a good passing groove and our serving picked up as well. We were able to bring our offense once our passing took control and that made the difference in the match. Andrea Brigham and Kaylee Schmitt had a great afternoon offensively and our defense was strong again."
Up Next for the SVSU...
Saginaw Valley travels to play at Findlay on Friday (Oct. 9) in a 7:00 p.m. matchup before playing at Hillsdale Saturday (Oct. 10) in a noon contest.