ORLANDO – The Saginaw Valley State University women's tennis team closed its trip to Florida with a second consecutive sweep, topping Shippensburg University on Wednesday in Orlando.
The Cardinals won 7-0 with all singles matches played as 8-game pro sets for a fourth consecutive to victory to start the spring season. SVSU enters Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference action with an overall record of 6-5.
Match Results Doubles:
- (1) Chelsea Dzenga / Nicole Johnson (SVSU) def. Merel Hoekstra / Kayla Tryanski (SHIP) 6-0
- (2) Adiya Young / Elizabeth Stuart (SVSU) unfinished Jenna Sluymer / Jazmin Petrantonio (SHIP) 3-2
- (3) Emma Charlton / Alexis Anthes (SVSU) def. Kendall Winters / Brooklyn Rupert (SHIP) 6-0
Match Results Singles:
- (1) Sara Neves (SVSU) def. Brighid Cantwell (SHIP) 8-1
- (2) Emma Charlton (SVSU) def. Merel Hoekstra (SHIP) 8-1
- (3) Elizabeth Stuart (SVSU) def. Sahar Islam (SHIP) 8-1
- (4) Chelsea Dzenga (SVSU) def. Kendall Winters (SHIP) 8-0
- (5) Joanne Gao (SVSU) def. Cally Papoutsis (SHIP) 8-0
- (6) Alexis Anthes (SVSU) def. Jazmin Petrantonio (SHIP) 8-0
The Cardinals open GLIAC play at home against Northwood University at 1 pm on Friday, March 18 at the Greater Midland Tennis Center in Midland, Mich.