TIFFIN, Ohio - The Saginaw Valley State University women's basketball team earned a non-conference road victory over Tiffin University on Thursday night 76-64. SVSU picked up their fourth straight win to start the season and are now 4-0 overall.
How it happened:
- After the Dragons scored the first basket of the game, SVSU responded with a 3-point basket by Tori DePerry and a layup by Kaitlyn Zarycki
- SVSU proceeded to go on a 13-2 run in the first quarter and took an 18-8 lead after one period
- Maddie Maloney hit a 3-pointer to begin the second quarter for the Cardinals
- Tiffin was able to stay within 10 points through most of the quarter, but SVSU continued to play strong defense and took a 38-24 halftime lead
- The Cardinals led by as many as 17 points in the third quarter and were up 54-39 heading into the final period
- The Cardinals continued to maintain their double-digit lead throughout the fourth quarter, but the Dragons got to within eight points with 44 seconds remaining. SVSU sealed the game thanks to free throws by Zarycki and Maloney.
Inside the Box Score:
- Zarycki led the Cardinals with 24 points on 10-17 shooting. She also had four assists and nine rebounds.
- Maloney scored 20 points on 6-8 shooting in 39 minutes of action. She grabbed nine rebounds as well.
- DePerry also scored in double figures for the Cardinals. The junior had 18 points on 5-6 shooting, along with eight rebounds.
- SVSU went 26-46 from the field, 8-18 from 3-point range, and 16-20 from the free-throw line. The Dragons were 24-64 from the field, 4-22 from deep, and 12-17 from the line.
- The Cardinals had 12 assists compared to Tiffin's nine. SVSU also out-rebounded the Dragons 34-27.
- Aarion Nichols led the Dragons with 25 points.
SVSU hosts Southern Indiana University at 1 pm Saturday from James E O'Neill Jr. Arena.