UNIVERSITY CENTER, Mich. - The Saginaw Valley State University women's basketball team defeated the Findlay University Oilers 83-52 on Saturday at James E. O'Neill Jr. Arena. SVSU moves to 2-0 overall following the opening weekend of the season.
How it happened:
- The opening quarter was close, as the Cardinals led 14-13 after one
- In the second quarter, SVSU outscored the Oilers 24-9 and took a 38-22 lead into the locker room.
- Ashley Buchholz hit three 3-pointers in the second to help the Cardinals pull away.
- Findlay was never able to dig itself out of the hole, as the Cardinals outscored the Oilers in the second half 45-30.
Inside the Box Score:
- Four Cardinals scored in double figures, Maddie Maloney scored 19 points on 6-12 shooting to lead SVSU, Ashley Buchholz added 15, Maddie Barrie had 14, and Jessica Massey chipped in 10 points.
- SVSU out-rebounded the Oilers 34-21, Massey led the Cardinals with five rebounds.
- Maloney played a team-high 31 minutes.
- SVSU shot 30-63 from the field, 17-36 from 3-point range, and 6-6 from the free-throw line. The Oilers shot 16-36 from the field, 5-9 from three, and 15-19 from the line.
- The Cardinals had 21 assists compared to seven from Findlay.
The Cardinals will travel to Ohio Dominican University at 6 pm Tuesday in Columbus, Ohio.
Weekend Recap with Head Coach Jenny Pruett Below: