UNIVERSITY CENTER, Mich. - The Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference announced the winners of the Fall 2021 GLIAC Commissioner's Awards on Monday, with Saginaw Valley State University star men's cross country runner CarLee Stimpfel among the recipients.
Stimpfel led the SVSU men's cross country team in 2021, highlighted by a third-place finish for the senior at the NCAA DII National Championships. Accomplishments for the 2021 season for the Cass City, Mich., native included NCAA DII All-American honor, the USTFCCCA National Runner of the Week award, USTFCCCA Midwest Region Cross Country Athlete of the Year, and NCAA DII Midwest Regional Champion. Stimpfel also won the Lewis University Crossover meet with a time of 23:55.1 in the 8k race.
Other career accomplishments include 2018 and 2019 NCAA DII All-American honors. Stimpfel finished third at the 2018 USATF U20 Championships. Stimpfel is a geography major at SVSU.
The awards are presented after the fall, winter, and spring athletic seasons to six female and six male student-athletes that excel both in the classroom and in competition. All grade-point averages are based on a 4.0 scale.
The six female student-athlete recipients are:
• Hannah Becker, Grand Valley State
• Laura De Marchi, Michigan Tech
• Katie O'Connell, Ferris State
• Bri Rogers, Ferris State
• Cecilia Steinwascher, Grand Valley State
• Grace VerHage, Ferris State
The six male student-athlete recipients are:
• Zane Aldrich, Northwood
• Alexandre Durand, Parkside
• Isaac Harding, Grand Valley State
• Hayden Huttula, Michigan Tech
• Olalere Oladipo, Ferris State
• CarLee Stimpfel, Saginaw Valley State