MOUNT OLIVE, N.C./CLEVELAND, Tenn. – The Saginaw Valley State University track & field teams competed this weekend with several Cardinals working to improve their standings for NCAA DII National Championship qualification.
Three new school records were set for SVSU as the Cardinals performed at two different locations, including at the Mount Olive First Chance and Multi in Mount Olive, N.C., as well as the Lee University Last Chance in Cleveland, Tenn.
Jenna Keiser set a new school record in the women's 3,000-meter steeplechase at Lee, crossing the line first in a time of 10:26.54. The finish hit an NCAA DII Provisional (D2P) mark for Keiser. At Mount Olive, Cheyenne Williamson continued her historic campaign with a school-record time of 13.66 seconds in the 100-meter hurdles (D2P).
On the men's side, Sam Black left no doubt about his NCAA DII National Championship standing, recording an SVSU record 7.807 points in the decathlon for a second-place finish at Mount Olive. The total hit the NCAA DII Automatic Qualification standard.
- Alona Olshevska was first for the Cardinals in the 200-meter dash at Mount Olive, crossing the line in 24.39 seconds (D2P).
- Lauren Huebner was fourth in the finals of the 100-meter hurdles in 14.25 seconds and put up a time of 14.17 seconds in the preliminaries (D2P).
- Williamson was first in the long jump with a best leap of 6.11 meters (D2P).
- The team of Maegan Noble, Huebner, Olshevska, and Williamson was first in the 4x100 relay with a time of 46.13 seconds (D2P).
- Lauren Buckner shaved nearly four seconds off her provisional time in the 1,500-meter run at Lee with a finish of 4:28.78.
- Dayton Brown won the 10,000-meter run for the Cardinal men at Lee. He crossed the line in 29:31.45 (D2P), improving his Provisional time.
- Casey Williams took third in the men's long jump with a distance of 7.20 meters at Mount Olive.
The Cardinals will make final preparations for the NCAA DII Outdoor National Championships set for May 27-29 in Allendale, Mich.