ROCHESTER, Mich. – The Saginaw Valley State University track and field teams returned to Oakland University to compete in the Grizzly PR Classic Saturday in Rochester, Mich., while a pair of Cardinals traveled to Tiffin University to perform in the women's heptathlon, concluding Saturday in Tiffin, Ohio.
Lauren Huebner stole the show for the Cardinals at Tiffin, running away with the heptathlon title. She scored 5,171 points in the event, hitting the NCAA DII Provision Qualifying standard.
On Saturday, Huebner started with second-place finishes in the long jump (5.35m) and the javelin (34.77m) before closing the event with a first-place finish in the 800-meter run in 2:15. 39. Teammate Kelsey Landra finished the Heptathlon in ninth with 3,271 points.
Women's highlights from Oakland:
- Alona Olshevska won the 200-meter dash in 24.45 seconds for the Cardinals.
- Morgan Fuerst was first in the 1,500-meter run, crossing the line in 4:31.84, followed in second by teammate Lauren Buckner in 4:32.77. Both times hit the NCAA DII Provisional mark.
- The team of Cassie Campbell, Angelina Delbosque, Olshevska, and Cheyenne Williamson finished the 4x100 relay in second with a time of 47.05 seconds.
- Williamson won the long jump with a best of 6.12 meters, an NCAA DII Provisional mark.
- Taylor Lucas was first in the triple jump, topping the competition with a leap of 10.62m.
Men's highlights from Oakland:
- Trevor Culpepper crossed the line second in the men's 100-meter dash, finishing in a time of 11.08 seconds. He was third in the 200-meter dash in 22.51 seconds.
- Brendan Nesbitt took first in the 800-meter run in a time of 1:52.87 for the Cardinals.
- Seth Oxer was second in the 400-meter hurdles in 56.19 seconds, closely followed by teammate Nathan Furst in third with a time of 57.03 seconds.
- Cavon Wilcox won the pole vault for SVSU, clearing a best height if 4.08m, edging teammate Deven Varela with a best of 3.93m in third place.
The Cardinals are in action next at the Davenport Panther Classic Friday and Saturday in Grand Rapids, Mich.