UNIVERSITY CENTER, Mich. – The Saginaw Valley State University track and field teams returned to competition this weekend with three events in three states Friday and Saturday.
SVSU multi-event athletes traveled to Duke University for the Tobacco Road Challenge in Durham, N.C., while distance runners headed to the Jim Vargo Invitational hosted by Bellarmine University in Louisville, Ky., Friday and Saturday.
SVSU's largest contingent competed at the Oakland University Golden Grizzlies Invite Saturday in Rochester, Mich.
The weekend was highlighted by several strong performances, including Cheyenne Williamson placing third in the women's Heptathlon at Duke.
- Williamson placed third in the Heptathlon at Duke, scoring 5,517 points. She hit the NCAA DII automatic qualifying standard. She placed first in two events, including the 200-meter dash (24.35 seconds) and the long jump (6.11m).
- Arianna Wegienka was seventh in the 10,000-meter run at Bellarmine, crossing the line in 36:45.70.
- Alona Olshevska was first in the 200-meter dash (24.83 seconds) and second in the 100-meter dash (12.14 seconds) at Oakland.
- Morgan Fuerst was first in two events, including the 800-meter run (2:12.58) and the 400-meter dash (57.20 seconds).
- Lauren Huebner won the 400-meter hurdle finals, hitting the NCAA provisional qualifying mark with a time of 59.63 seconds.
- Jenna Keiser was first in the 3,000-meter steeplechase recording a time of 11:10.05
- The 4x100 relay team of Ciera Weber, Taylor Lucas, Maegan Noble, and Brooke Sutyak finished the race in second with a time of 49.15 seconds.
- Weber was second in the pole vault, clearing a best height of 3.50m.
- Lucas had a best distance of 10.81m to take first place in the triple jump for the Cardinals.
- MacKenzie Ramey was first in the shot put with a best of 13.82m, followed by teammate Ali Aldrich in third with a distance of 12.79m.
- Emily Droski finished second in the discus finals with a best of 43.16m, followed in third by Sydney Koppinger with a top throw of 37.12m.
- Droski added a second-place finish in the hammer throw with a best of 48.87m, while teammate Aldrich was third with 48.26m.
- Huebner took the Javelin throw with a top throw of 31.84m, while Droski and Koppinger were second and third, respectively.
- Sam Black was leading the Pentathlon after two events before the competition was called off due to weather at Duke on Friday. He finished third in the high jump with a best height of 2.03m.
- CarLee Stimpfel and Dayton Brown each hit the NCAA Provisional qualifying mark in the 10,000m run at Bellarmine. Stimpfel placed third in 29:18.84, while Brown was fourth in 29:43.66.
- Austin Rippee placed third in the 800-meter finals, crossing the line in 1:58.71 at Oakland.
- Brendan Nesbitt took third in the 1,500m run with a time of 3:55.89 for the Cardinals.
- Nathan Furst was third in the 110-meter hurdles with a time of 15.55 seconds.
- Dan Westarb cleared a height of 1.85m to place second in the men's high jump.
- Cavan Wilcox was third in the pole vault, clearing a height of 4.10m.
- Trevin Phillips won the javelin for the Cardinals, finishing with a best throw of 53.11m. Bobby Maxwell was third with a throw of 49.87m.
The Cardinals are in action next at the Oakland University Grizzly PR Classic Saturday in Rochester, Mich.