ALLENDALE, Mich. – The Saginaw Valley State University indoor track and field teams hit the road for the first time as a full squad this season for the Grand Valley State University Big Meet over the weekend in Allendale, Mich.
The Cardinals had several outstanding performances, including two new school records from Cheyenne Williamson on the women's side and a new SVSU best from CarLee Stimpfel for the men. In total, SVSU hit 13 NCAA qualifying marks in events taking place Friday and Saturday at GVSU.
- Cheyenne Williamson had a fantastic all-around weekend, including four NCAA Qualifying Marks and two school records. She was second in the 60-meter hurdles in 8.52 seconds (PQ), third in the long jump with a best of 5.79m (PQ), second in the 60-meter dash in 7.58 seconds (PQ), and was a member of the distance medley relay that hit the Provisional Qualifying Mark. Her times in the 60-meter hurdles and the 60-meter dash set new school records for the Cardinals.
- Arianna Wegienka hit the NCAA Provisional Qualifying Mark with a time of 17:23.57 in the 5,000-meter run. Her time is the second-fastest in school history and she is now ranked 19th in DII.
- The women's distance medley team of Jenna Keiser, Cheyenne Williamson, Jenna Picard, and Alexa Keiser finished third with a time of 11:43.00, an NCAA Provisional Qualifying Mark.
- Alexa Keiser was fourth in the 1-mile run in an NCAA Provisional Qualifying time of 4:52.39.
- Ali Aldrich finished the weight throw with a best of 17.90m, recording an NCAA Provisional Qualifying Mark.
- MacKenzie Ramey reached the NCAA Provisional Qualifying Mark in the shot put with a throw of 13.79m.
- CarLee Stimpfel set a new school record for the Cardinals in the 5,000-meter run, winning the event and hitting the NCAA Automatic Qualifying Mark with a time of 13:51.62. His time is the 12th fastest all-time in NCAA DII competition and set a new GVSU facility record.
- Dayton Brown was seventh in the 5,000-meter run with a Provisional Qualifying time of 14:05.48. Brown's time was a personal record of 25 seconds, was under the previous SVSU school record broken by Stimpfel at the event, and was two seconds off of the automatic qualifying time. Brown is ranked 13th nationally in the event.
- For Brown and Stimpfel, it was the second consecutive weekend for the two to come in under a previous SVSU school record.
- The men's distance medley team of Brendan Nesbitt, Jared McLean, Austin Rippee, and Ryan Talbott finished fourth in a time of 9:54.63, an NCAA Provisional Qualifying Mark.
- Ryan Talbott was eighth in the 1-mile run with an NCAA Provisional Qualifying time of 4:10:46.
The Cardinals have one more chance to prepare for the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Championships, hosting the SVSU Tune-Up Friday at the SVSU Fieldhouse.