ALLENDALE -- The Cardinal Track & Field teams were impressive on day two of the 2020 GLIAC Indoor Championships, which were hosted by GVSU in Allendale, Michigan. The Cardinals Women, paced by a standout performance by freshman Cheyenne Williamson, placed second overall with 115 points. The SVSU men were fourth overall, totaling 78.50 points in the championship event.
The second place finish marks the best indoor showing for the Cardinal Women since the 1998 season, which was the last GLIAC title for Saginaw Valley.
Williamson was named the GLIAC Field Athlete of the Meet, Freshman Field Athlete of the Meet, Freshman Track Athlete of the Meet and the High Point Athlete of the Meet. Sam Black was named the GLIAC Field Athlete of the Meet and Field Athlete of the Year. The Cardinal coaching staff was named the GLIAC Coaching Staff of the Year as well after helping lead SVSU to the second place finish.
- Williamson followed up her long jump title on day one with another two on Sunday. She won the 60 hurdles race with a time of 8.79 seconds and took first place in the high jump with a height of 5' 6.5".
- Lauren Huebner finished right behind Williamson in the 60 hurdles, finishing 2nd with her time of 8.82 seconds.
- Morgan Fuerst led a trio of solid finishes in the mile run with a 3rd place showing of 4:58.22. Jenna Keiser was 4th (5:02.58) while Sydney Kreger finished 5th (5:07.44).
- Fuerst won the 800 meter run with a time of 2:14.49 in another impressive performance and provisional time.
- Alona Olshevska finished in 4th place in the 200 meter dash with her mark of 24.98 seconds. That time matches Williamson's program record she posted earlier this season at the GVSU Big Meet.
- The 4 x 400 meter relay team finished 2nd with their time of 3:46.14. That's a new record as well, as that team of Williamson, Olshevska, Fuerst and Huebner topped the old record they set at the GVSU Big Meet.
- Ali Aldrich and Timyah Meeks were 4th and 5th in the shot put, registering marks of 44' 8.75" and 43' 0.5".
- Noah VanderVeen and Sam Black finished 2nd and 3rd in the high jump, registering heights of 6' 9.75" each for a provisional mark and podium finish.
- Juan Bowers finished 5th in the 400 meters with his time of 48.81 seconds. He was 6th in the 200 meter dash with a mark of 22.04 as well.
- Ryan Talbott had a 4th place showing in the 3,000 meter run, crossing the line in a final time of 8:12.26 for a provisional time. That time is a new record in the event as well, besting Tom Goforth's 2017 mark.
- The 4 x 400 meter relay team finished 4th with their time of 3:19.47.
- Cavan Wilcox finished 4th in the pole vault with a height of 13' 6.5" while Black was 5th with a height of 13' 6.5" as well.
There are several Cardinals who have qualified for the NCAA Division II Indoor Championships and more that are positioned well to qualify for the event. Stay tuned to svsucardinals.com for all information on this year's qualifying student-athletes.