HOLLAND, Mich. – The Saginaw Valley State University swimming and diving teams closed competition at the 2021 Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Championships Saturday at the Holland Community Aquatic Center.
The four-day event included several outstanding Cardinal performances, including seven new school records and two NCAA B cut qualifying marks (Joshua Hamilton in the men's 100-yard breaststroke and Mason Hooker in the 100-yard butterfly).
The SVSU women finished in fourth place overall with 392 points, while the men were fifth with a total of 319 points. Both teams finished ahead of Davenport University and Ashland University in the standings.
SVSU Head Coach Jason Lintjer was named the GLIAC Coach of the Year. In a meeting prior to the award being announced, the conference coaches agreed to honor all GLIAC head coaches due to the unprecedented circumstances surrounding the 2021 season.
"We battled adversity all season, but we still performed very well," Lintjer, who is in his first year leading the Cardinals, said. "The team ended up with several school records and lifetime personal bests. I'm very proud of how this team performed and excited for the future."
Saturday's Women's Highlights:
- Sydney Shipps took fourth-place in the women's 1,650-yard freestyle in a time of 17:35.05.
- Emma Cornell was sixth in the 100-yard freestyle touching the wall in 52.76 seconds for the Cardinals.
- Erin McDowell finished fourth for SVSU in the 200-yard backstroke in a time of 2:05.83.
- Libby Caird earned a score of 426.45 in the women's 3-meter diving event, placing third in the league.
- Megan Lafollette was eighth in the 3-meter diving with a score of 373.70.
- The SVSU women's 400-yard freestyle relay team closed the event with a fifth-place finish. The group of Cornell, McDowell, Lydia Ely, and Shipps touched the wall in 3:36.74.
Saturday's Men's Highlights:
- Juan-Luke Hamilton was eighth in the 100-yard freestyle, finishing in 46.72 seconds for the SVSU men.
- Joshua Hamilton was ninth in the 200-yard breaststroke, winning the B-final by nearly three seconds.
- The team of Juan-Luke Hamilton, Joshua Hamilton, Kyle Amick, and Sanders Modglin combined to finish fourth for the Cardinals in the 400-yard freestyle relay to close the competition.
Final team standings:
1. Grand Valley State University 1200
2. Northern Michigan University 587
3. Wayne State University 579
5. Davenport University 375
6. Ashland University 291
1. Grand Valley State University 1072.5
2. Wayne State University 728.5
3. Northern Michigan University 567.5
4. St. Cloud State University 402.5
6. Davenport University 291
7. Ashland University
School records for SVSU at 2021 GLIAC Championships
Men's 200 medley relay - 1:30.96
Men's 200 free relay - 1:22.92
Men's 100 free - Juan-Luke Hamilton 45.55
Men's 50 free - Josh Hamilton 20.83 (200 freestyle relay lead off)
Men's 400 free relay - 3:04.80
Men's 100 butterfly - Mason Hooker 48.81
Men's 100 backstroke - Mason Hooker 50.63