EVANSVILLE, Ind. - After an opening 3-2 victory over Indianapolis on Thursday, the Cardinals faced-off against the University of Southern Indiana on Friday in the second round of play. SVSU fell to the Screaming Eagles in the second round game, falling by a 6-4 final.
USI got on the board early in the first inning, going for two runs and taking a 2-0 lead.
The Cardinals responded to get on the board in the top of the 3rd inning, scoring four runs to take a 4-2 lead. Meredith Rousse scored Becky Corbett with a sacrifice fly for the first run after SVSU played some small ball with consecutive bunts. Aubree Mouthaan stepped to the plate next, driving a three-run home run to left center to score Danielle Hamilton and Madison Burgess.
The Screaming Eagles came back with four runs in the home half of the 3rd inning, not going away while adding a two-run home run and a two-RBI single. That gave the home team the lead back and made the score 6-4.
Saginaw Valley got a pair of scoring chances from there, as Courtney Reeves had a double in the 6th while Burgess and Corbett were on first and third, respectively, in the 7th inning. Nothing would materialize though and USI claimed the two-run victory with the 6-4 final.
Inside the Boxscore
- Mouthaan was 1-3 with the home run and three RBI. It was her 10th long ball of the 2017 season.
- Burgess had a pair of hits and scored a run for SVSU.
- Rousse was 1-3 with a double and RBI for the Cardinals.
- Reeves went 1-3 with a double.
- Corbett had the other hit for SVSU.
- Samantha Willman (20-7) took the loss in the circle, working 2.0 + innings while allowing 6 runs (5 ER) on eight hits and striking-out two.
- Annie Hansen tossed 4.0 innings of scoreless relief, allowing just a single hit and notching a strikeout.
The Cardinals play again on Friday, awaiting the winner of the Grand Valley / Indianapolis game. The final contest of the day will be an elimination contest.
@SVSU_Softball | #svsusb | @SVSUAthletics | #GoSVSU
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---