ASHLAND, Ohio -- The Cardinal Men's Soccer team hit the road to face the Ashland Eagles on Friday (Oct. 18) evening for a GLIAC match. In a back and forth affair, SVSU would eventually come out on top in the end, getting a goal in the 88th minute from Alex Gloshen to seal a 3-2 victory over the Eagles.
Ashland began the match's scoring, using a Joseph Renner goal in the 34th minute to take the 1-0 lead.
Saginaw Valley had a response in the 40th minute, knotting the match at 1-1 when Kairo Coore scored a goal off a feed from Gloshen.
That is where the score stood as the teams entered the halftime break in Ohio.
The Cardinals took a brief lead in the second half, as Connor Rutz scored in the 76th minute to put the visitors up 2-1.
Just over a minute later in the 77th minute, the Eagles responded quickly with a Kieran Paterson goal to put the count at 2-2.
In a match that seemed as though it was headed towards overtime, the Cardinals found the back of the net at the 88' maker when Gloshen made good on a shot to give SV a 3-2 edge. That goal was assited by Gabriello Calamita and SVSU held on for the victory over the Eagles.
Inside the Boxscore
- SVSU had 11 shots in the match while Ashland had nine.
- The Eagles had three corner kicks and SV had a pair.
- Gloshen had a team-high four shots with his fourth goal and fourth helper of the season.
- Rutz has a team-high seven goals now, which lead the league along with his 18 points.
- Coore's goal is his second of the 2019 campaign and Calamita now has three assists.
- Mason Maziasz (7-1-1) allowed two goals and made three saves in notching the victory for the Cardinals.
From Head Coach Louis Barrow
"Ashland is always a very difficult place to play. They are so well-coached and very industrious, making it tough every time we come here. Fortunately, in moments of transition we had the quality to score three very good goals. The goals we scored were fantastic. The energy, attitude and desire we brought to the field was second to none. The lads were simply brilliant tonight and have set the tone for the next game at DU."
The Cardinals continue on the road and play at Davenport University on Sunday (Oct. 20) afternoon. The first kick is set for 2:00 pm in Caledonia.
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---