UNIVERSITY CENTER -- The SVSU Men's Soccer team defeated the Upper Iowa Peacocks on Friday (Sep. 27) afternoon in a GLIAC match at Braddock Field by a score of 8-2. The Cardinals got hat tricks from both Connor Rutz and Alex Galbraith, scoring six second half goals to secure the victory.
SVSU got on the board at the 40' mark of the first half when Rutz made good on a penalty kick attempt to give the home squad a 1-0 lead. Shortly after that at the 42' point is when Alex Galbraith gave the Cards a 2-0 edge, using a feed from Rutz on the score.
That two goal lead went into the half, with the Cardinals firing seven shots compared to four on Upper Iowa's side.
Rutz added to straight goals to open the second half's scoring, connecting at the 60' and 65' marks to push the lead out to 4-0. The second goal was assisted on by Alex Gloshen.
The Peacocks responded just 24 seconds later at the 66' marker, getting a goal to trim the deficit to 4-1.
It was then Galbraith's turn to get two straight for the Cards, using passes from Gabriello Calamita to score at the 75' mark and one from Gloshen at the 77' point to push the lead to 6-1.
After another Peacock goal, the match's scoring would be completed in the 84th minute when Bergmann got on the board himself, sealing the win at 8-1.
Inside the Boxscore
- Rutz's three goals give him a league-leading five one the season while his lone assist makes him the GLIAC leader with four helpers.
- Galbraith's hat trick gave him his first three goals of his Saginaw Valley career.
- Gloshen, with his three-assist match, is now second in the GLIAC in that category.
- Bergmann now has three goals and an assist on the season while Coore's goal was his first career score for SVSU.
- Mason Maziasz moved to 4-1-1 overall on the season after making one save and allowing one goal in 73:39 of work in net.
- The eight goals scored for SVSU is the most since a 9-0 victory at Malone on Oct. 11 of the 2015 season.
From Head Coach Louis Barrow
Saginaw Valley hosts Purdue Northwest on Sunday (Sep. 29) in another league tilt. First kick is slated for 3:00 p.m. at Braddock Field.
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---