UNIVERSITY CENTER -- The SVSU Men's Soccer team hosted the Davenport University Panthers on Friday (Sep. 20) afternoon at Braddock Field. The Panthers got out to an early lead in the match and never looked back, securing a 4-0 shutout victory in both teams' league opener.
DU got on the board early, taking advantage of a free kick just 1:13 into the match after the goalkeeper handled the ball out of the box. Evan Marquess connected for the visitors and gave them a 1-0 lead.
At the 17' marker, the Panthers took a 2-0 edge when Matt Whelan knocked-in a rebound to give the visitors the lead heading into the half.
Whelan found the back of the net again at th 47' marker to make it 3-0 and Miguel Flores took a loose ball for Davenport away from a defender and put the match at its final count of 4-0 at the 87' point.
Inside the Boxscore
- SVSU had a 14-10 overall shot advantage in the matchup.
- Each team had six shots on goal, with four finding the back of the net for Davenport.
- DU's Joshua Doupe made six saves, turning away all shots on net.
- Mason Maziasz (2-1-1) allowed four goals on six shots on goal in the match while making a pair of saves.
- SVSU had five corner kicks compared to two for Davenport.
- Brady Walker and Connor Rutz each had a team-best three shots and two shots on goal.
Saginaw Valley hosts Ashland University on Sunday (Sep. 22) in another league battle. The Cardinals and Eagles will have a first kick of 3:00 p.m. at Braddock Field.
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---