ERIE, Penn. – The Saginaw Valley State University men's basketball team traveled to Gannon University for the third game this week for the Cardinals Sunday in Erie, Penn.
Gannon closed the first half on a 7-1 run to lead by five at the break. The Cardinals were unable to retake the lead the rest of the way, falling to the Knights 90-80.
The loss drops SVSU to 3-2 overall and snaps the Cardinals' three-game win streak.
How it Happened:
- SVSU took control early with a 12-2 run to open the game, including 3-pointers from Darnell Hoskins Jr. and Maurice Barnett.
- The Knights chipped away and tied the game at 17-17 with 12 minutes to play in the first half.
- The Cardinals went back in front 25-20 with a 6-0 run, including four points from Tyler Witz.
- Gannon took the lead at the half, closing the first 20 minutes with a 7-1 run to go up 39-34.
- After Gannon stretched its lead to nine early in the second half, a 3-pointer from Delano Smith cut the Knight lead to 49-47.
- The Knights slowly build back their lead and closed out the win, never trailing in the second half.
Inside the Box Score:
- Delano Smith led the Cardinals with 27 points on 10-of-20 shooting, adding six rebounds.
- Tyler Witz finished with 12 points and 13 rebounds for a double-double.
- Darnell Hoskins Jr. added 13 points.
- Maurice Barnett and James Toohey both started and finished with eight points.
- The Cardinals shot 26-of-62 from the field, 4-of-20 from deep, and 24-of-33 from the line.
- SVSU outrebounded Gannon 42-33, finishing with 11 assists and 14 turnovers.
The Cardinals return home to host Great Lakes Christian College at 5 pm next Sunday at the James E. O'Neill Jr. Arena.