UNIVERSITY CENTER, Mich. - The Saginaw Valley State University men's basketball team defeated Olivet College on Wednesday evening 84-73 in James E. O'Neill Jr Arena. SVSU never trailed as they improved their record to 2-1 overall.
How it happened:
- The Cardinals got off to a quick start, as they opened a game on an 11-0 run thanks to back-to-back 3-pointers by Maurice Barnett and a three-point basket by James Toohey.
- The Comets got to within four points before SVSU went on a 9-0 run and took a 21-8 lead.
- SVSU led by as many as 22 points in the first half, and took a 49-32 lead into the break.
- In the second half, the Cardinals maintained their 20-point lead before Olivet cut the lead to 11 points with 2:17 remaining in the game.
- Olivet's late push was not enough, however, and the Cardinals held on for the victory.
Inside the Box Score:
- Barnett led SVSU with 15 points on 5-9 shooting in 16 minutes of action. The sophomore also had four steals.
- Darnell Hoskins Jr. had 12 points on 2-3 shooting and 6-7 from the free-throw line, Tre Garrett had 10 points on 4-8 shooting.
- The Cardinals went 26-50 from the field, 13-26 from deep, and 19-28 from the free-throw line, Olivet was 30-70 from the field, 12-30 from deep, and 1-2 from the line.
- SVSU out-rebounded the Comets 37-31
- Olivet was led by Eddie Thigpen with 17 points.
The Cardinals will travel to Western Michigan University for a 7 pm game Thursday night in Kalamazoo, Mich.