HOUGHTON -- The Cardinal Men's Basketball team began its road trip to the U.P. on Thursday (Dec. 5) night, facing the Michigan Tech Huskies in the GLIAC opener. The Huskies would end up pulling out the victory in the contest, winning by a final score of 79-57.
Michigan Tech built a double-digit lead almost halfway through the opening half and held a 41-27 edge at the break, shooting an even 50.0% from the floor while SVSU hit on 34.5% of its shots. The Cardinals got a dozen points from Malik Ellison in the first frame and nine points with four rebounds from Myles Belyeu.
The second half saw the Huskies outscore the Cardinals by a 38-30 mark, shooting 50.0% from the field once more while Saginaw Valley hit on 37.0% of its tries. Another 12 points came from Ellison in the second half while Belyeu had seven, James Toohey five and Darnell Hoskins Jr. six.
That eight point edge to build on the lead ended up allowing Michigan Tech to secure the victory, 79-57.
The Huskies improve to 5-2 overall and 1-0 in the GLIAC. Saginaw Valley is now 4-3 overall and 0-1 in league action.
Inside the Boxscore...
- Ellison led a small group of just four Cardinals who scored in the game, registering a game-high 24 points. He added two assists and two steals as well.
- Belyeu collected another double-double, scoring 16 points and adding 10 boards.
- Toohey had eight points with three boards, two steals, an assist and block.
- Hoskins added nine points with a rebound and assist.
- Fred John Jr. had seven boards to help do work on the glass.
SVSU continues on the trip and plays at Northern Michigan on Saturday (Dec. 7). Tip-off will be at 1:00 p.m. for that contest, which will be played before the Lady Cardinals' 3:00 p.m. tilt.
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---