UNIVERSITY CENTER -- The SVSU Men's Basketball team finished-off a weekend sweep on Saturday, using a 53-point second half to secure a 79-72 home victory over the Parkside Rangers at O'Neill Arena. The Cardinals got double-digit scoring figures from four players in the win.
The Cardinals improve to 5-8 overall on the season and 2-4 in the GLIAC while Parkside falls to 5-7 and 3-3 in league action.
Parkside jumped out to an early lead and fought-off a Cardinals squad that worked its way back to a 19-15 lead at the 8:41 mark. After a 22-20 lead by the home squad, the Rangers came back and posted a 29-26 lead that would stand as the halftime score.
The Rangers pushed the lead out to as many as eight points (41-33) at the 15:03 marker of the second half.
It took nearly 10 minutes from there, but Saginaw Valley worked its way back and forced a 60-60 tie with 5:53 left with Liam Evans made good on a layup attempt.
A Darnell Hoskins Jr. triple with 4:36 showing gave the Cardinals the lead and he would couple that with another triple and Evans layup to give SVSU a 70-65 edge with 3:10 to play.
The largest SV lead came at 73-66 when Hoskins drilled another three-pointer with 2:25 to play.
Parkside would not get any closer than four points the rest of the way, as the Cardinals closed-out for the 79-72 victory.
Inside the Boxscore
- Hoskins was named the Meijer "Player of the Game" for his performance. He went for a game-high 21 points, 18 coming in the second half, along with four assists and two rebounds.
- Myles Belyeu added 16 points with six boards, two assists, a steal and block.
- Fred John Jr. netted 12 points with six rebounds.
- Jack Roberts matched his career-high and had 11 points for the second straight contest. He added five rebounds and two assists.
- Evans narrowly missed a double-double, grabbing 10 rebounds (6 offensive) with nine points.
- SVSU posted a 37-30 edge on the glass and 28-26 advantage in the paint.
The Cardinals begin a four-game road stretch at Grand Valley State on Thursday (Jan. 10) in an 8:00 p.m. GLIAC contest. The Lakers are coming off an 85-72 defeat at Lake Superior State on Saturday.
@SVSU_MBB | #svsumbb | @svsuathletics | #BeaksUp
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---