GARY, Ind. - The Saginaw Valley State University baseball team opened up the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Tournament on Thursday from the U.S. SteelYard in Gary, Indiana. The fifth-seeded Cardinals took on the second-seeded Wayne State Warriors in the opening round.
Wayne State took the victory 10-4 over SVSU, moving the Cardinals' record to 21-27 overall.
- The Cardinals opened the scoring in the top of the first with an RBI single by Martin Money that scored Colin Cornwell and made it 1-0.
- It remained 1-0 until the bottom of the fifth when Wayne State scored four runs to take a 4-1 lead.
- In the bottom of the sixth, the Warriors added four more runs to make it 8-1.
- SVSU got a run back in the top of the seventh thanks to an RBI double by Jeffrey Reseigh, scoring Todd Paperd.
- Wayne State responded with two runs in the bottom half of the seventh inning.
- The Cardinals tried to mount a comeback in the top of the ninth when they got RBIs from Parker Jatczak and Ethan Dufresne but were unable to get any closer as the Warriors took the victory.
- Hayden Jatczak (0-6) went 5.1 innings and struck out eight on the mound before being relieved by Steven Hecht. Also pitching in relief for SVSU was Chase Gruno.
The Cardinals take on No. 1 seed Davenport University in an elimination game at noon EST Friday from the U.S. SteelYard in Gary, Indiana.