QUINCY, Ill. - The Saginaw Valley State University baseball team faced off against the Quincy University Hawks in a non-conference series opener on Friday afternoon. The host Hawks took game one over the Cardinals 10-0, moving SVSU's record to 18-22 overall.
- Quincy opened the scoring right away with two runs in the bottom of the first inning, before adding one in the second and two in the third inning.
- The Cardinals' offense struggled to get going, only managing five hits and leaving three runners on base.
- The host Hawks added three more runs in the sixth and two in the eighth inning on their way to the victory.
- Hunter Merillat (3-3) got the start on the mound for SVSU and pitched six innings while striking out three batters. He was relieved by Derek Slocum who pitched 2.0 innings and recorded one strikeout.
- Colin Cornwell led the Cardinals with two hits, while Jaccar Watkins had a stolen base.
The Cardinals and Hawks continue their series with a doubleheader at 1 pm EST Saturday from the Quincy University Baseball Field.