UNIVERSITY CENTER, Mich. - The Saginaw Valley State University baseball team concluded a Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference series with Grand Valley State University on Sunday from the SVSU Baseball Complex. The visiting Lakers took the series finale from the Cardinals 13-8.
SVSU falls to 18-21 overall and 8-12 in the GLIAC.
- GVSU jumped on SVSU with four runs in the top of the first inning.
- The Cardinals responded with three runs in the bottom of the second inning, getting an RBI single from Andrew Burke and a two-run single from Reed Raymond.
- A Cardinal error in the top of the fourth inning made the score 6-3 before a two-run home run by Hayden Jatczak scored Colin Cornwell and made it 6-5 after four innings of play.
- The Lakers took control with seven runs in the fifth inning, while the Cardinals added two in the sixth and one in the eighth.
- In the bottom of the ninth, with Burke and Austin Schweiger on base, Raymond lined out to second base and ended any hope of an SVSU comeback.
- Tyler McLaren (4-2) took the loss on the mound after pitching 4.2 innings and striking out two batters.
- Jatczak was 3-of-4 at the plate to lead SVSU.
The Cardinals face rival Northwood University in a non-conference game at 6:35 pm Tuesday from Dow Diamond in Midland, Mich.