UNIVERSITY CENTER, Mich. -- The Saginaw Valley State University baseball team defeated the Lawrence Tech Blue Devils 11-5 on Wednesday afternoon from the SVSU Baseball Complex. It was the second time this season the Cardinals defeated the Blue Devils after winning 6-0 on the road in March.
The win moves SVSU to 18-17 overall.
- SVSU scored once in the first inning and three more in the bottom of the second inning to take a 4-0 lead after a Colin Cornwell RBI double and Hayden Jatczak RBI groundout.
- The Blue Devils tied the game in the top of the fourth with four runs.
- In the bottom half of the inning, the Cardinals took the lead for good when Austin Schweiger hit a grand slam over the left-field wall that brought home Jatczak, Todd Paperd, and Martin Money.
- SVSU added one more run in the fourth inning before Lawrence Tech got a run back in the top of the seventh.
- In the bottom of the eighth, Hayden Jatczak hit a two-run single that scored Connor McClennen and Parker Jatczak and put the game away for the Cardinals.
- On the mound, JJ Arbini got the start for SVSU and pitched 3.1 innings before being relieved by Steven Hecht (3-0) who earned the win after pitching 2.2 innings of relief and striking out five batters.
The Cardinals return to GLIAC play and open a four-game series with Grand Valley State University at 3:05 pm Friday from the SVSU Baseball Complex.