UNIVERSITY CENTER, Mich. -- The Saginaw Valley State University baseball team opened a Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference series with Davenport University on Thursday from the SVSU Baseball Complex.
The Panthers took the series opener 29-16 over the Cardinals, moving SVSU's record to 16-15 overall and 7-6 in the GLIAC.
- After Davenport scored four runs in the top of the first, SVSU got on the board with two runs in the bottom half of the inning thanks to a Todd Paperd RBI single, and Hayden Jatczak scoring on a wild pitch.
- The Panthers responded with four runs in the top of the second inning before the Cardinals scored four of their own in the bottom of the second, highlighted by an Austin Schweiger RBI single that scored Reed Raymond.
- Davenport scored two runs each in the third and fourth innings, before blowing the game wide open with 10 runs in the top of the fifth.
- SVSU tried to mount a comeback down 29-7 in the bottom of the ninth, as the Cardinals scored nine runs in the inning that included a two-run double by Andrew Burke and a two-run single by Dylan Golden.
- Kendall Anthes (2-4) took the loss on the mound for the Cardinals after pitching 4.1 innings and recording four strikeouts.
- Raymond and Schweiger led SVSU with two hits each.
The Cardinals and Panthers will continue their series with a doubleheader at 12:35 pm Friday from the SVSU Baseball Complex.