DETROIT – The Saginaw Valley State University baseball team concluded their four-game Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference series on Sunday with a doubleheader from Harwell Field in Detroit.
The host Warriors took both games of the doubleheader to earn the series sweep, winning game one 7-4, and taking the second game 11-3. SVSU's record is now 16-14 overall and 7-5 in the GLIAC.
Game One Breakdown:
- The Cardinals opened the scoring in the top of the second inning with an Andrew Burke RBI single that scored Austin Schweiger.
- Wayne State tied the game at 1-1 in the bottom of the third inning.
- A Tucker Roe RBI double made it 2-1 SVSU in the top of the fourth.
- The Warriors scored three runs each in both the fourth and fifth innings to take a 7-2 lead.
- SVSU added two more runs in the top of the sixth with an RBI single by Roe and an RBI double by Burke but were unable to complete the comeback as WSU earned the seven-inning victory.
- Tyler McLaren (4-1) took the loss on the mound after pitching 4.0 innings and allowing five runs and four hits. Chase Gruno and Steven Hecht both made appearances in relief for the Cardinals.
Game Two Breakdown:
- The Warriors jumped on the Cardinals early with three runs in the bottom of the first inning, before adding two more in the second to take a 5-0 lead.
- Wayne State continued to put the pressure on SVSU with one run in the bottom of the fourth and five runs in the bottom of the fifth to make the score 11-0.
- In the top of the ninth, the Cardinals got on the scoreboard when JJ Arbini hit an RBI double that scored Parker Jatczak and Hunter Merillat.
- Brendan Conkle brought home Arbini with an RBI single to make it 11-3 before WSU recorded the final out of the game.
- Christopher Schmees (3-2) made the start for SVSU on the mound and ended up with the loss, allowing six runs, seven hits, and recording six strikeouts.
SVSU will host Davenport University in a GLIAC four-game series beginning Thursday at 3:05 pm from the SVSU Baseball Complex.