Posted: Apr 09, 2022
SVSU's record is now 16-12 overall and 7-3 in the GLIAC following the defeat.
- The Cardinals opened the scoring in the top of the first when Reed Raymond scored on a wild pitch.
- Wayne State responded with a run of their own in the bottom half of the inning before SVSU scored two more runs in the top of the second to take a 3-1 lead. The Cardinals got RBI singles from Raymond and Andrew Burke.
- The back-and-forth game continued as WSU tied the game at 3-3 in the bottom of the second.
- An Austin Schweiger RBI single brought home Martin Money and made it 4-3 Cardinals in the third inning.
- The Warriors tied the game at 4-4 in the bottom of the fifth inning, before Todd Paperd put the Cardinals ahead once again with an RBI single in the top of the seventh.
- Wayne State tied the game in the bottom of the seventh, before earning the victory with a walk-off single in the bottom of the ninth.
- On the mound Hayden Jatczak got the start for SVSU and went 5.1 innings, allowing five hits, four runs, and recording eight strikeouts. He was relieved by Hunter Merillat (2-2) who took the loss after pitching 3.0 innings of relief and allowing two runs.
The Cardinals and Warriors conclude their series with a GLIAC doubleheader beginning at noon Sunday from Harwell Field in Detroit.