UNIVERSITY CENTER, Mich. -- The Saginaw Valley State University baseball team defeated the University of Wisconsin-Parkside 16-9 in a Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference series finale on Sunday from the SVSU Baseball Complex.
The Cardinals are now 15-10 overall on the year and 7-1 in the GLIAC.
- After Parkside scored the first three runs of the game, SVSU responded with six runs in the bottom of the third inning and seven in the bottom of the fourth.
- With the score tied 3-3 in the bottom of the third, Austin Schweiger hit a bases-loaded double that cleared the bases and gave the Cardinals the lead, bringing home Hayden Jatczak, Martin Money, and Todd Paperd.
- In the bottom of the fourth, SVSU got RBIs from Jatczak, Money, Schweiger, Jeffrey Reseigh, and Reed Raymond. The seven-run inning allowed the Cardinals to take a 13-3 lead.
- The Rangers came back with two runs in the top of the sixth, before a Connor McClennen RBI triple in the bottom half of the sixth allowed Reseigh to score, and McClennen reached home during the play after an error by the Parkside second basemen.
- Parkside added two runs each in the top of the seventh and eighth innings, while SVSU got one more run in the bottom of the seventh en route to the victory.
- On the mound Tyler McLaren (4-0) earned the win, going 6.0 innings, allowing five runs, 10 hits, and recording four strikeouts. He was relieved by Steven Hecht who pitched 1.2 innings and struck out three, while Chase Gruno finished off the Rangers and pitched 1.1 innings and struck out four.
- At the plate, Money was 4-of-6 with one RBI to lead SVSU, while Schweiger led the Cardinals with four RBIs.
SVSU will host the University of Michigan-Dearborn at 3:05 pm Tuesday from the SVSU Baseball Complex.