HAMMOND, Ind. -- The Saginaw Valley State University baseball team opened Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference play with a 6-5 victory in seven innings over Purdue Northwest in the first game of a doubleheader on Friday. The win moves the Cardinals to 9-8 overall and 1-0 in GLIAC play.
Game two between SVSU and PNW was suspended due to weather in the bottom of the third with the Cardinals leading 5-3. It will resume later this weekend.
- The host Pride opened the scoring with two runs in the bottom of the first inning.
- In the top of the second, SVSU got on the board when Tucker Roe brought home Todd Paperd with an RBI single.
- PNW took a 3-1 lead in the bottom of the third with an RBI single.
- The Cardinals tied the game at 3-3 in the top of the fourth, when Jaccar Watkins singled down the left field line and scored Roe and Austin Schweiger.
- Hayden Jatczak scored on a Purdue Northwest error and SVSU took a 4-3 lead in the top of the fifth.
- Purdue Northwest took a 5-4 lead after scoring runs in the bottom of the fifth and sixth innings.
- SVSU scored two runs in the top of the seventh when Martin Money brought home Jatczak on an RBI double and later scored on an RBI groundout by Roe.
- Reed Raymond retired Purdue Northwest in order in the bottom half of the seventh, and SVSU earned the victory as Raymond picked up his second save of the season.
- Kendall Anthes got the start for the Cardinals and went 3.2 innings, allowing three runs and recording one strikeout. He was relieved by Hunter Merillat (1-1) who earned the win, pitching 2.1 innings of relief and striking out two.
The Cardinals and Pride will continue their series at 2 pm EST Saturday in Hammond, Ind.