WINTER HAVEN, Fla. -- The Saginaw Valley State University baseball team fell 5-2 to St. Cloud State University in their final game in the RussMatt Central Florida Invitational.
The loss drops the Cardinals record to 5-7 overall.
- SVSU got on the scoreboard right away in the top of the first, Connor McClennen hit a sacrifice fly and scored Reed Raymond to make it 1-0.
- The Huskies took a 3-1 lead in the bottom of the fourth with a three-run home run to left field.
- A Hayden Jatczak RBI single scored Raymond and made it 3-2 in the top of the sixth.
- SCSU added two runs in the bottom half of the sixth, and held on for the victory, retiring SVSU in order through the final three innings.
- Tyler McLaren got the start on the mound for the Cardinals and went 3.0 innings, allowing three hits, one walk, and recording one strikeout. Collin McMullen came in relief and took the loss, pitching 1.2 innings, allowing three runs, four hits, and striking out two. Chase Gruno relieved McMullen before giving way to Raymond, who pitched the final 2.0 innings for SVSU.
The Cardinals have concluded their spring break trip to Florida. SVSU will face Findlay University at 3 pm Tuesday afternoon in Findlay, Ohio.