WINTER HAVEN, Fla. -- The Saginaw Valley State University baseball team rolled to a 20-7 victory over West Virginia Wesleyan College on Friday afternoon in the RussMatt Central Florida Invitational. The Cardinals (5-6) used a nine-run sixth inning to blow the game wide open and earn the victory.
- After the Bobcats scored three runs in the bottom of the second inning, the Cardinals responded with four runs in the top of the third. Reed Raymond opened the scoring for SVSU when he drove in Logan Welch with an RBI single. Connor McClennen brought home Andrew Burke with an RBI single, and Hayden Jatczak hit a two-run triple to center field that scored Raymond and McClennen.
- In the top of the fifth, SVSU extended their lead with an RBI double by Todd Paperd that scored Martin Money.
- The Cardinals blew the game wide open in the top of the sixth. An RBI groundout by Raymond started the scoring before McClennen drove home Jaccar Watkins with a double. Jatczak drove home Burke with a sacrifice fly, and Paperd drove home McClennen with an RBI single. Jeffrey Reseigh drove home Paperd and Money with an RBI double to make it 11-3 Cardinals.
- SVSU didn't let up, as Welch brought home Reseigh with an RBI double, Watkins singled home Welch, and Burke capped the scoring with an RBI single that scored Watkins and made 14-3 after the top of the sixth inning.
- Jatczak drove in his fourth run of the game in the top of the seventh when he doubled home McClennen. Reseigh made it 17-3 SVSU when he doubled to left field and scored Jatczak and Ethan Rose.
- The Bobcats got two runs back in the bottom of the seventh.
- Austin Schweiger capped the scoring for the Cardinals in the top of the ninth when he hit a three-run home run that scored Welch and Brendan Conkle.
- On the mound, Christopher Schmees got the start for SVSU, going 5.2 innings, allowing three runs, six hits, four walks, and striking out seven to earn the victory.
- Steven Hecht came in relief for the Cardinals and pitched the final 3.1 innings.
SVSU will face St. Cloud State University at 9:45 am Saturday morning for the final game in Florida.