WINTER HAVEN, Fla. -- The Saginaw Valley State University baseball team held off Minnesota-Crookston on Sunday night by a final score of 3-1 on day three of the RussMatt Central Florida Invitational.
- Minnesota-Crookston opened the scoring with a run in the top of the first inning.
- The Cardinals got on the scoreboard in the bottom of the third, when Reed Raymond hit an RBI double that scored Connor McClennen and tied the game at 1-1.
- SVSU took the lead in the bottom of the fifth when Hayden Jatczak hit an RBI single and scored Colin Cornwell.
- A sacrifice fly by McClennen in the bottom of the eighth inning scored Todd Paperd and gave the Cardinals a 3-1 lead heading into the ninth inning.
- Raymond slammed the door shut on the Golden Eagles in the top of the ninth and picked up the save.
- Tyler McLaren got the start on the mound for SVSU and earned his first win of the season, going 7.2 innings, allowing four hits, one run, and striking out five.
The Cardinals will have a day off before facing the Lewis University Flyers at 1:30 pm Tuesday in Florida.