AUBURNDALE, Fla. -- The Saginaw Valley State University baseball team lost 7-5 to Concordia-St. Paul on Saturday night in day two of the RussMatt Central Florida Invitational.
SVSU is now 2-5 overall in the young season.
- The game was scoreless until the top of the fourth when Concordia-St. Paul drove in a run with a sacrifice fly.
- SVSU responded in the bottom half of the inning with an RBI double by Connor McClennen, bringing home Maven Gordon.
- The Golden Bears got a run in the top of the fifth, before a Gordon RBI single scored Martin Money in the bottom of the fifth.
- Concordia-St. Paul responded with two runs in the top of the sixth inning and took a 4-2 lead.
- The Cardinals got a run back in the bottom of the sixth when Reed Raymond singled home Jaccar Watkins.
- SVSU took the lead in the bottom of the seventh when an RBI single by Todd Paperd brought home Money and Colin Cornwell.
- In the top of the ninth, the Golden Bears scored three runs to take a 7-5 lead.
- SVSU was retired in order in the bottom half and Concordia-St. Paul escaped with the victory.
- Christopher Schmees got the start on the mound for SVSU and went 5.1 innings before he was relieved by Collin McMullen. Hunter Merillat ended up taking the loss after relieving McMullen and went 2.0 innings and struck out five batters.
SVSU will face Minnesota-Crookston at 5:15 pm Sunday evening on day three in Florida.