SPRINGFIELD, Ill. -- The Saginaw Valley State University baseball team faced off against the University of Illinois-Springfield Sunday afternoon in a doubleheader.
UIS took the first game of the day 19-12 over SVSU in seven innings. In game two, the host Prairie Stars defeated the Cardinals 16-1. SVSU is now 0-3 to start the 2022 season.
Game One Breakdown:
- Illinois-Springfield jumped on the scoreboard first with three runs in the bottom of the first inning.
- The Cardinals got on the board when Andrew Burke drew a bases-loaded walk in the top of the second, making it 3-1.
- UIS answered by scoring three runs in the bottom half of the inning to make it 6-1.
- SVSU came right back, scoring four runs in the top of the third inning and cutting the UIS lead to just one run. SVSU got three runs when Tucker Roe hit a bases-clearing double.
- In the bottom of the third, the Prairie Stars scored two more runs, before the Cardinals came back with three of their own in the top of the fourth, thanks to RBIs by Roe, Martin Money, and Connor McClennen.
- SVSU took their first lead of the game in the top of the fifth when Money drove in Hayden Jatczak and Reed Raymond with a double to right-center field, making the score 10-9 in favor of the Cardinals.
- UIS came back with four runs in the bottom of the fifth, and six runs in the bottom of the sixth to take the victory. Money drove in two more runs in the top of the seventh to lead the Cardinals with five RBIs in the game.
- Hayden Jatczak got the start on the mound for SVSU before being replaced by Steven Hecht. Chase Gruno and Colin McMullen also saw action on the mound for the Cardinals.
Game Two Breakdown:
- UIS got on the board first in game two with a run in the bottom of the first.
- An RBI groundout by Tucker Roe in the top of the second brought home Martin Money and tied the game at 1-1.
- The Prairie Stars opened the game wide open with four runs in the bottom of the third and nine runs in the bottom of the fourth inning.
- Christopher Schmees got the start for the Cardinals on the mound, going 3.0 innings before Derek Slocum came in relief. Thomas Shipley and JJ Arbini also made an appearance on the mound.
SVSU will conclude their four-game series with Illinois-Springfield with a game at noon EST Monday from the UIS Baseball Field in Springfield, Ill.