UNIVERSITY CENTER – Coming off a sweep over Ohio Dominican on Saturday, the SVSU baseball team was looking to finish the 2016 season strong in Sunday's GLIAC twinbill. The Cardinals would do just that, posting 5-3 and 12-5 victories on Sunday to complete the weekend sweep over the Panthers to finish-off the 2016 campaign.
After ODU took a 1-0 lead, SVSU went for three runs in the bottom of the third to take the 3-1 edge. Adam Turner scored on an error and Richard Guglielmi had a sacrifice fly to pushed Adam Fitzgibbon across. The third run came via a Garrett Soule RBI single that scored Chad Carson.
Ohio Dominican scored two in the top of the seventh but SVSU starter Scott Sency held the damage there and closed out for the 5-3 victory.
Inside the Boxscore
- Sency (5-4) posted the complete game win, scattering six hits, allowing three runs and just one walk. She struck-out four batters as well.
- Valutis had two hits with a run scored for SVSU.
- Fitzgibbon, Guglielmi, Soule and Eschenburg all had a hit and RBI as well.
- Valutis and Turner each had a double for the Cardinals.
In the nightcap, the Cardinals got out to a big lead early, going for a run in the home half of the first and six more in the second to take a 7-0 lead. The RBIs in the second came from Turner, Dylan Schultz, Kyle Randick, Guglielmi and Valutis.
Another run in the fifth and two more in the sixth would extend the Cardinal lead to 10-0, with the RBIs coming from Randick and Schultz.
The Panthers got a three-run home run in the top of the seventh to cut the deficit to 10-3.
SVSU notched two more in response to that home run in the bottom of the seventh after RBIs from Carson Eby and Turner to make the count 12-3.
ODU would score twice in the top of the ninth, but that wasn't nearly enough as the Cardinals would seal the deal and complete the 12-5 victory.
Inside the Boxscore
- Saginaw Valley pounded-out 21 hits in the game against the Panthers. The 21 hits marks a season-high and is the most since they had 23 in last year's 19-0 victory at Walsh.
- Valutis stayed hot at the plate, finishing his SVSU career with four hits, an RBI and two runs scored. It was his second career four-hit game in an SV uniform.
- Eschenburg had three hits as well in what was his final game. He scored two runs as well.
- Jordan Swiss added three hits with a run scored.
- Randick had two as well, adding two walks, a pair of RBIs and two runs.
- Schultz went 3-for-3 with three RBIs and two runs in his final collegiate contest for Saginaw Valley.
- Eby chipped-in with a pair of hits and an RBI while Turner had two hits, a pair of RBIs and a run scored.
- Michael Ellenbest (5-4) picked-up the victory, allowing just two hits while striking-out a pair of batters.
- Jacob Hendricks, Brendan Harrison and Max Ludka all worked an inning of relief in the victoy as well.
The weekend sweep finishes the 2016 season for the Cardinals. SVSU posted an overall record of 22-28 and had a 14-18 mark in the GLIAC. Saginaw Valley graduates seven seniors from this year's team.
@SVSUBaseball | #svsubsb