FINDLAY, Ohio - The SVSU baseball team hit the road Tuesday afternoon for a makeup doubleheader against the University of Findlay Oilers. The Cardinals, despite having a solid opportunity in the ninth inning of the second game, were unable to pull out a victory and dropped a pair of one-run games, 3-2 and 4-3.
SVSU got on the board first in the top of the second, as Dylin Eschenburg drove-in Jordan Swiss for the 1-0 lead. Swiss led-off the frame with a double and moved to third on a groundout by Carson Eby.
The Oilers tied the score at 1-1 in the home half of the second and would add another pair in the bottom of the third on a two-run home run. That made the lead 3-1 for Findlay.
The Cardinals got a run back in the top of the fourth, as a pair of two-out walks to Adam Turner and Adam Fitzgibbon put SV in scoring position. Chad Carson dug-in next and ripped an RBI single to left field, plating Turner to make the score 3-2.
All of the scoring would conclude there, with Findlay picking up the single run victory in the opener.
Inside the Boxscore
- Swiss's double marked the only extra-base hit for SVSU and he had one of just five hits in the game with an RBI.
- Carson had the RBI single as well for SV.
- Fitzgibbon had a hit and two walks while Garrett Soule and Eby registered the other two hits.
- Kyle Randick and Brendan Harrison each drew a pair of walks for the Cardinals.
- Jack Ferguson (0-1) took the loss on the hill, tossing 3.0 innings. He allowed three runs on seven hits, striking-out one and not allowing any walks.
- Max Ludka worked the final 3.0 innings, allowing just two hits and no runs.
Saginaw Valley scored first in the second game as well, this time going for two runs in the first and another in the second to make the score 3-0. Carson had a two-RBI single in the first to plate Eby and Sould to get the scoring rolling. In the second, Fitzgibbon had an RBI groundout that allowed Swiss to score on the play.
Findlay would chip away at that lead, however, and come back with single runs in the bottom of the third, fifth, seventh and eighth innings to take the lead at 4-3.
The Cardinals had a bases-loaded opportunity in the top of the ninth with two outs but were unable to capitalize on the opportunity and fell by the one run count at 4-3.
Inside the Boxscore
- Valutis led the team offensively, going 3-for-4 in the contest as the Cardinals out-hit the Oilers by an 8-6 margin.
- Carson had the hit and two RBIs while Fitzgibbon registerd the other RBI.
- Jacob Hendricks got the start on the hill, pitching 5.0 innings. He allowed two runs (1 earned) on three hits, struck-out one hitter and walked two.
- Jake Tarbell (0-5) took the loss after tossing 3.0 innings of relief. He allowed two runs on three hits and posted a pair of strikeouts.
Saginaw Valley returns to the SVSU Baseball Complex this weekend, as the Cardinals host the Ohio Dominican Panthers in a four-game weekend series. The teams play Saturday (May 7) at 1:00 p.m. for Senior Day and Sunday's twinbill is set to begin at noon.
@SVSUBaseball | #svsubsb
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---