Game #1: Grand Valley 4, Saginaw Valley 3 (9 Innings)
Game #2: Grand Valley 3, Saginaw Valley 1
GVSU Baseball Field - Allendale, Mich.
ALLENDALE, Mich. - The SVSU baseball team traveled to Grand Valley State University for a GLIAC doubleheader that was moved to Allendale due to weather issues causing poor field conditions at Saginaw Valley. The Cardinals fell in a nine-inning first game by a score of 4-3 before dropping the nightcap by a 3-1 count to the Lakers.
Saginaw Valley got out to a quick 3-0 lead in the top of the first inning. Brendan Harrison had an RBI single that plated Adam Fitzgibbon and Garrett Soule followed with an RBI single of his own to score Chad Carson. The third run came via a Jordan Swiss RBI single that brought Harrison around to score.
The Lakers cut the deficit to 3-2 after scoring their first two runs in the bottom of the third inning. The home team added a third run in the bottom of the fifth inning to knot the score at 3-3.
The score stood there and the game went into extra-innings and made it until the ninth inning. Despite getting a runner to third base, SVSU could not score and the Lakers added a run in the bottom of the ninth to claim the one run victory.
Inside the Boxscore
- SVSU had eight hits in the opening game.
- Swiss went 2-for-4 with an RBI while Fitzgibbon had two hits as well with a run scored.
- Harrison and Soule each had a hit and an RBI in the contest.
- Michael Ellenbest got the start on the mound, pitching 6.0 innings while allowing five hits and a pair of earned runs. He notched six strikeouts against the Lakers.
- Max Ludka (0-2) took the loss in relief, working 2.1 innings and allowing a hit, one run and posting a strikeout.
The Lakers scored single runs in the third and fifth innings to grab a 2-0 lead over the Cardinals.
Saginaw Valley made the score 2-1 when Soule scored Carson with an RBI and Soule would reach base on an error.
The bottom half of the sixth would bring another run for the Lakers, extending the lead to 3-1. That's where the score remained as Grand Valley completed the sweep.
Inside the Boxscore
- The Cardinals had seven hits in the nightcap, three coming off the bat of Harrison.
- Nate Blackwell added a pair of hits for SVSU with a walk while Carson and Soule each had a single hit. Soule had the lone RBI for Saginaw Valley.
- Clayton Spiker (2-1) took the loss on the mound, working 6.0 innings while allowing nine hits and three runs. He posted two strikeouts in the matchup as well.
The same two teams will meet up on Tuesday (Mar. 29) in a rescheduled doubleheader that was originally scheduled to be played on Friday. The GLIAC doubleheader is slated to begin at 1:00 p.m. at SVSU's Baseball Complex.
@SVSUBaseball | #svsubsb
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---