Score: Ashland 16, Saginaw Valley 3
Records: AU (8-6) | SVSU (6-9)
Donges Field - Ashland, Ohio
ASHLAND, Ohio - SVSU's baseball team began a three-game series at Ashland University on Friday (Mar. 18) with a single, non-conference contest against the Eagles. Despite posting 10 hits, defensive miscues would cost the Cards in a 16-3 loss at Ashland's Donges Field.
The Eagles got out to a 12-0 lead after the first four innings, with just three of those runs being earned.
Saginaw Valley got a trio of runs in its half of the fifth inning, using an RBI single from Dylin Eschenburg that scored Brendan Harrison and a two-RBI single from Chard Carson that plated Greg Kazmierski and Adam Fitzgibbon to make the score 12-3.
Ashland added a run in the bottom of the sixth and three more in the eighth to make the score 16-3, which is where the final scored stood.
Inside the Boxscore
- Carson was 3-for-5 with two RBIs for the Cards.
- Harrison had three hits as well in four at-bats, scoring a run.
- Eschenburg had a hit and an RBI while Fitzgibbon, Kyle Randick and Carson Eby also added a hit.
- Scott Sency (1-2) took the loss on the mound despite just allowing a single earned run of nine runs total. He scattered 10 hits and struck-out five batters.
- Saginaw Valley had 10 hits in the contest.
Saginaw Valley returns to the diamond against the Eagles for game two of their three-game slate Saturday (Mar. 19). First pitch is set for 1:00 p.m. in the nine-inning tilt at Ashland's Donges Field.
@SVSUBaseball | #svsubsb
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---