Saginaw Valley State 18, Kentucky State 0 - Final - 7 Innings
Records: SVSU (3-0) | KSU (0-5)
Alumni Field - Frankfort, Ky.
FRANKFORT, Ky. - The SVSU baseball team finished-off a weekend sweep on the road over Kentucky State University Sunday (Feb. 28) afternoon and moved to 3-0 for the 2016 season. The Cardinals notched 18 hits and scored 18 runs in the 18-0 shutout over the Thorobreds.
Saginaw Valley got four hits-apiece from Jordan Swiss and Garrett Soule to pace the offense, with both hitting a home run in the game. Swiss had five RBI and three runs scored while going 4-for-4 with a walk and Soule added three RBI and scored four runs with a pair of doubles.
- SVSU notched three runs in its half of the second and added another in the third for a 4-0 lead. Eby had a squeeze bunt that scored Soule and that was followed by RBI singles from Swiss and Greg Kazmierski, which plated Brendan Harrison and Swiss, respectively. A Soule solo shot in the fourth was the only run that inning.
- The top half of the fifth inning featured RBI singles from Harrison and Carson Eby that scored Chad Carson and Soule. Rich Guglielmi scored as well off a double play ball and the visitors led, 7-0.
- The Cards erupted for 11 runs in their half of the seventh inning to put the score at 18-0, which is where the final tally would remain.
Inside the Boxscore
- Swiss was 4-for-4 with his first-career home run, five RBI and three runs to go along with a walk.
- Soule went 4-for-5 with a home run, two doubles and four runs while knocking-in three runners.
- Harrison was 2-for-2 with a RBI while scoring a pair of runs himself.
- Carson added two hits, two runs and one walk with a RBI.
- Eby was 1-for-2 with a pair of RBI as well for SVSU.
- The Cards didn't commit a single error over the weekend in 84 chances defensively.
On the Mound
- Feinauer (1-0) worked 5.0 innings for the victory, allowing just one hit, walking four batters and striking-out eight.
- Jake Tarbell worked a scoreless sixth with a strikeout and Jack Ferguson finished the shutout after allowing none in the seventh.
Up Next for SVSU
Saginaw Valley is off until Thursday (Mar. 3) when the Cardinals begin their spring trip against Mars Hill for a single, nine-inning contest. First pitch is set for 2:00 p.m. in Mars Hill, N.C.
@SVSUBaseball | #svsubsb
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---