The Saginaw Valley State University men's and women's cross country teams earned 5th and 8th place finishes, respectively, at the NCAA DII Midwest Regional Championships. The Cardinal men had two athletes, CarLee Stimpfel and Dayton Brown, earn automatic bids to the NCAA DII National Championships for finishing in the top-five. Both the men's and women's teams will have to wait until Monday (Nov. 11) to see if they earn a team bid to the National Championships.
Women's Results: The women finished eighth overall scoring 225 points as a team and had a team average time of 22:12.9 for the 6k race. The Cardinals were just ten points behind seventh place Wayne State.
- Jenna Keiser led the Cardinals finishing first for the team crossing the line at 21:50.0, good for 29th place overall.
- Next up was Morgan Fuerst who earned a 35th place finish for SVSU and came in at 22:00.3.
- Finishing in 36th place was sophomore Katelyn Spooner who earned a season best coming in with a final time of 22:01.3.
- Right behind Spooner was senior Sydney Kreger who crossed the line at 22:12.5, good for 41st place
- Rounding out the Cardinals top-five was Arianna Wegienka who finished 84th with a time of 23:00.1.
Men's Results: The men finished fifth overall and were led by CarLee Stimpfel and Dayton Brown who both placed in the top-five and earned automatic bids to the NCAA DII National Championships. The Cardinals scored 155 points as a team, just nine points behind Walsh who placed fourth, and had a team average time of 32:25.3 for the 10k race.
- Sophomore CarLee Stimpfel finished second overall with a final time of 31:13.8, only eight seconds behind the first place finisher.
- Following Stimpfel was sophomore Dayton Brown coming in with a time of 31:29.8 which was good for a fifth place finish.
- Finishing 27th was sophomore Ryan Talbott who crossed the line at 32:31.8.
- Next was Alex Grifka who timed in at 33:24.5 which was good for a 59th place finish.
- Rounding out the Cardinals top-five was Austen Mandernach who finished with a time of 33:26.5, good for 62nd overall.
The Cardinals will wait until Monday (Nov. 11) when the NCAA DII National Championship bids are released to see if they are selected. Follow-up information will be posted at svsucardinals.com.