ROMEOVILLE, Ill. - The Saginaw Valley State University men's and women's cross country teams competed in the fifth-anual Lewis Crossover Saturday (Oct. 12). The Cardinals competed very well despite the less than ideal course conditions with temperatures in the low to mid 40's which felt like the 30's with the 20+ MPH wind. The men fought through the sloppy course and placed 10th scoring 295 points and the women earned a top-five finishing coming in fourth with a point total of 211.
Women's Results: The women finished the 6k competition with an average team time of 23:35.5 and their top-three runners finished just seven places apart. The only teams to finish ahead of the Lady Cardinals were Walsh, Augustana (S.D.), and Grand Valley State.
- Junior Morgan Fuerst held the top spot for the Cardinals crossing the line at 23:08.5 which was good for 13th place
- Following closely behind Fuerst was teammate Jenna Keiser who placed 17th and came in at 23:12.6
- Senior teammate Sydney Kreger would come in only three places behind Keiser in 20th place crossing the line at a season best of 23:17.3
- Sophomore Katelyn Spooner had a breakthrough race and set a season best of 23:28.8 which was good for 31st place
- Rounding out the Cardinals top-five was Maggie Pawelczyk who crossed the line at 24:50.6
Men's Results: The men finished the 8k compeition with an average team time of 26:19.9 and had one runner in the top-five finishers.
- Sophomore CarLee Stimpfel placed fifth overall for the Cardinals crossing the line at 25:19.8
- Following behind Stimpfel was teammate Dayton Brown who came in at 25:59.0 which was good for 26th place
- Ryan Talbott finished 51st overall and would come in at 26:22.3
- Earning a season best was Alex Grifka who crossed the line at 26:48.6 which was more than a 60 second improvement
- Rounding out the Cardinals top-five was Sam Deardorff who came in at 27:09.6
The Cardinals are on the road again Saturday (Oct. 28) as they compete in the GLIAC Championships hosted by Purdue Northwest. You can follow all the action at svsucardinals.com.