East Lansing, Mich. - The Saginaw Valley State University men's and women's cross country teams both placed second in the WSU Warrior Challenge.
Women's Results: The women finished second overall with a point total of 61 and a combined team time of 2:06:48.3 for the 6k competition. The Cardinals placed four athletes in the top-15 and were led by junior Maggie Pawelczyk.
- Maggie Pawelczyk led the team with a seventh place finish crossing the line at 24:20.1
- Sophomore Arianna Wegienka came in with a final time of 24:43.7 and was good for 11th place overall
- Finishing 12th overall was Carissa Martin coming in at 25:11.4
- Senior Kaitlyn Cavallo finished with a final time of 25:23.2 which was good for 14th overall
- Rounding out the Cardinals top-five was freshman Emily Buska who crossed the line at 27:09.7 good for 17th
Men's Results: The men finished second overall with a point total 73 and a combined team time of 2:21:19.8 for the 8k competition. The Cardinals placed four athletes in the top-20 and were led by freshman Sam Deardorff.
- Sam Deardorff led the team with a 10th place finish crossing the line at 27:38.1
- Finishing 11th overall was Alex Grifka who came in at 27:43.5
- Freshman Luke Rambo crossed the line at 28:06.7 good for 14th overall
- Jordan Walters placed 16th overall with a final time of 28:15.2
- Rounding out the Cardinals top-five was Brendan Nesbitt who finished 22nd overall crossing the line at 29:36.1
The Cardinals are on the road again Friday, October 4th, as they compete in the Lansing Community College Invitational.