UNIVERSITY CENTER -- The SVSU Volleyball team hosted the Michigan Tech Huskies on Friday (Oct. 27) night at the Hamilton Gymnasium. In what was an exciting match, the Cardinals fell in the league matchup by a 3-1 count.
The Huskies ran out to a quick 4-0 lead in the first set and wouldn't look back much, claiming a 25-17 win to take the 1-0 lead in the match.
Saginaw Valley responded in the second frame, getting out to a fast 4-0 lead to get things started. After the Huskies knotted the set up at 6-6, the second would be tied at 14-14 until the Huskies held a 19-17 lead late in the set. SVSU rattled-off three straight points to take the 20-19 lead, which would bounce back and forth until the score was tied at 23-23. The Cardinals closed-out the set for a 25-23 victory, using an Olivia Dean kill and attack error from Michigan Tech.
SVSU fought back from an early deficit in the third and held a 19-17 lead later on in the set. The Huskies would respond, working out to a 23-19 advantage and claiming the third set by a score of 25-21 to take a 2-1 lead in the match.
The fourth frame stayed close throughout as well, with the Cardinals leading late on with the score 21-20 in their favor. Tech worked its way back once again, taking four consecutive points to make the score 24-20. The Huskies would close-out the match for the 3-1 win after a 25-22 victory in the fourth set.
Inside the Boxscore
- Olivia Dean recorded a career-high 19 kills in the match, adding 11 digs while being named the Player of the Match. She hit .279 on 43 total swings.
- McKenzie Schuster registered 13 kills with six blocks.
- Rachel Eisenhour had seven kills (.333) and six blocks as well.
- Hannah Tabit had 48 assists for the Cardinals in the contest with three blocks.
- Emily Friesl added five blocks and five kills.
- Abbit Toland had 29 digs for the Cards, setting a new career-high for her.
- Sarah Tabit had 13 kills and 15 digs.
- Lindsay Jacobs had double-digit figures in digs (13) as well for SVSU.
Saginaw Valley hosts Northern Michigan Saturday (Oct. 28) in a 1:00 p.m. match at the Hamilton Gym. The Wildcats are coming off a Friday night 3-0 shutout over Lake Superior State.
@SVSU_Volleyball | #svsuvb | @SVSUAthletics | #GoSVSU
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---