Sault Ste. Marie, Mich.– Saginaw Valley State volleyball team bounced back from a strand of losses to take down GLIAC opponent Lake Superior State on Tuesday night (Sept. 19) 3-1. Cardinals now stand at 2-9, with a 1-2 conference record, while the Lakers drop to 1-8 overall and 0-3 in conference play.
Match Highlights vs. Lake Superior State (W 3-1)
Saginaw Valley put up a .323 hitting percentage and tagged 15 kills during set one, coming out with possibly the best start of the season, with a 25-19 victory over the Lakers. SVSU worked hard to keep a point for point battle in set two, but LSSU pulled ahead within the last five points to take set two, 25-20, and held the Cardinals to a .207 hitting percentage. Saginaw Valley was not willing to give up set three, coming out with an 8-1 start. LSSU came back within one point early on, but never took the lead. Cardinals went on to take set three 25-18. Set four, SVSU kept the drive from set three into set four, winning 25-20 , and taking the victory 3-1, with their team season high of 53 kills.
Inside the Boxscore
• Red shirt freshman, Emily Friesl, knocked out a .375 hitting percentage with her career high of 15 kills. She also added three block assists and two digs, earning her the "Player of the Match."
• Cardinals record their team season high of 53 kills and a .234 hitting percentage.
• Emily Nieman led the team with 12 digs.
• Setter Hannah Tabit recorded 36 assists in todays win.
• Sarah Tabit tallied 19 kills and four digs.
• Haley Clum and Rachel Eisenhour dominated the net with five block assists each.
• The SVSU team totaled a season high of 11.5 total blocks.
From Head Coach Will Stanton
"We played with more enthuasisum and passion tonight and that allowed up to make some plays that we haven't been making previously. Our serve recieve did a good job and that allowed Sarah Tabit and Emily Friesl to have a very good night on the outside. Our blocking also stepped up and controlled the net well, which we needed because the Lakers have some great hitters if you let them swing."
The Cardinals will return home for a two game stretch this weekend beginning on Friday with the home opener versus Tiffin University at 7 p.m. and Saturday against Ashland University at 4 p.m.
@SVSU_Volleyball | #svsuvb | @SVSUAthletics | #GoSVSU
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---