Score: Saginaw Valley 3, Michigan Tech 1
Records: SVSU (18-9, 11-5 GLIAC | MTU (15-14, 10-6 GLIAC)
Location: SDC Gymnasium - Houghton, Mich.
HOUGHTON, Mich. - The SVSU volleyball team opened its final regular season weekend of the season in the U.P. with a Friday (Nov. 11) match at Michigan Tech. The Cardinals played solid on the road, avenging an earlier season loss to the Huskies by recording a 3-1 decision over them at Tech's SDC Gym.
SVSU opened the match with a 25-21 victory to take the 1-0 edge. The visitors came back after trailing at the start and knotted it up at 14-14, eventually holding a 21-16 lead. The Cardinals would then seal the deal with the 25-21 count.
Tech then tied the match at 1-1 after posting a .417 hitting percentage in the second to post a decisive 25-15 win.
The Cards responded with a similar set of their own, taking the lead at 2-1 after swinging at a .355 percentage to take the third frame 25-13.
The fourth and final set of the night would bounce back and forth with several ties until SV broke a 24-24 deadlock with two points to seal the deal with a 26-24 victory in the last frame.
Inside the Boxscore
- The Cardinals have now secured a first round GLIAC Tournament Quarterfinal home match on Wednesday (Nov. 16). They can end up as either the No. 3 or No. 4 seed in the event.
- Sarah Tabit was named the Chili's Player of the Match after registering a .308 hitting percentage with an ace, three blocks and a trio of digs.
- Tamara Heller posted a team-high 22 digs with nine kills.
- Emily Nieman added 21 digs defensively for the Cards.
- Kelly Vellucci chipped-in with 37 assists and 16 digs for SVSU from the setter position.
- Kaylee Schmitt had a team-high 11 kills while hitting .417 with five blocks.
- Kennedy Marker posted six blocks and had five kills as well.
From Head Coach Will Stanton
"Our serve receive was a little shaky early in the match and that made for a tough start to the contest. But our serving was solid and our passing and blocking caught up with Tech's aggressiveness. That made the difference for us in sets three and four."
Saginaw Valley concludes the 2016 regular season with a match at Northern Michigan University on Saturday afternoon. The teams will square-off at 4:00 p.m. in Marquette in the GLIAC North Division contest.
@SVSU_Volleyball | #svsuvball