AURORA, Ill. - The SVSU volleyball team opened play at the 2016 Mizuno Midwest Region Crossover Tournament with a 3-1 victory over the University of Missouri-St. Louis on Friday (Oct. 14) afternoon.
The Cardinals (10-8) opened play with a 25-23 decision in the opening set to take the 1-0 lead but he Tritons would knot the score at 1-1 after a 25-19 win in the second.
Saginaw Valley, however, would respond to take the final two remaining sets by similar 25-23 scores to close-out the for 3-1 victory.
Inside the Boxscore
- Kaylee Schmitt led the way for SVSU, totaling 14 kills while hitting .462 in the contest. She added three blocks and earned Chili's Player of the Match honors.
- Tamara Heller added 12 kills with eight digs and a pair of blocks.
- McKenzie Schuster posted 11 kills with four digs and a block.
- Kennedy Marker had a team-best five blocks, adding eight kills.
- Emily Nieman tallied 19 digs.
- Kelly Vellucci had 49 assists, 12 digs and five kills while Abbie Toland added 13 digs.
From Head Coach Will Stanton
"We struggled a little today on serve receive in some crucial situations, but we worked harder on our defense and our blocking, so we were able to overcome that issue. Our serving came on stronger later in the match and that made a huge difference. It was good to get a win here and get the weekend started. We look forward to getting back to work tomorrow!"
SVSU plays two more matches in the crossover tourney, taking on Cedarville at 11:00 a.m. and McKendree at 5:00 p.m. Both times are eastern in at the Great Lakes Center.