UNIVERSITY CENTER, Mich. - The SVSU volleyball squad hosted Lake Superior State University on Tuesday (Sep. 27) night in a GLIAC North Divisional matchup. The Cardinals would hold the advantage throughout the match, posting a solid 3-0 sweep over the Lakers at the Hamilton Gymnasium.
They pushed the lead out to 2-0 after hitting .300 in a 25-12 win in the second frame. Kaylee Schmitt and Heller each notched three kills in the second while Brigham had five digs. Kelly Vellucci, Rachel Eisenhour and Schmitt all had a pair of blocks in the second frame.
Saginaw Valley closed-out for the 3-0 sweep after a 25-18 edge in the third set. Heller had four kills and five digs while Brigham had five digs as well. Leze Vukaj added three kills in the final frame.
Inside the Boxscore
- Brigham finished with nine kills and 10 digs in the contest. She hit .438 on the night and was named the Chili's "Player of the Match."
- Heller had a match-high 10 kills, adding a team-best 14 digs as well.
- Schmitt had a .500 hitting percentage with four kills, adding a trio of blocks.
- Vellucci posted 32 assists and eight digs, aside from her team-high four blocks.
- Abbie Toland added 10 digs as well for the Cardinals.
- SVSU held the Lakers to an overall hitting percentage of -.017, using the aide of 15 total blocks.
From Head Coach Will Stanton
"I thought our serve receive started out a bit shaky, but we settled down and that allowed our offense to get more aggressive. Our outside hitters did a great job stressing their blockers tonight, and our blockers put them in tough spots to attack. We got clicking pretty well once we got into the match and had a good night offensively and defensively."
Saginaw Valley is home for a pair of matches this weekend at the Hamilton Gymnasium. The Cards take-on Tiffin University Friday (Sep. 30) in a 7:00 p.m. contest before hosting Ashland University on Saturday in a 2:00 p.m. tilt.
@SVSU_Volleyball | #svsuvball