UNIVERSITY CENTER, Mich. - Saginaw Valley State University opened its home and GLIAC schedule on Friday (Sep. 16) night against the Northern Michigan University Wildcats at the Hamilton Gymnasium. The teams battled throughout the contest, but the visiting Wildcats were the team that would eventually come out ahead with a 3-2, five-set victory.
Northern closely edged SVSU in the opening set, claiming a 27-25 win. The Cardinals responded with a solid second set, knotting the score at 1-1 after a 25-21 win. The Wildcats took a 2-1 advantage after another close victory, claiming a 26-24 decision in the third. Saginaw Valley bounced-back once more, however, hitting .333 in the fourth set and posting a 25-19 win. NMU would close-out the match with a 15-8 victory in the fifth and final set, sealing the 3-2 result.
Inside the Boxscore
- Andrea Brigham had a match and season-high with 21 kills in the contest. She hit .292 on 48 attacks, adding 10 digs and a pair of blocks. She was named the Chili's "Player of the Match" for her efforts.
- Kelly Vellucci set up her teammates with a career-best 54 assists. She added 14 digs and two blocks as well.
- Tamara Heller added 14 kills and had 15 digs defensively for SVSU.
- Kaylee Schmitt had nine kills and four blocks while Kennedy Marker added seven kills and four blocks.
- Emily Nieman posted a team-high 22 digs to anchor the defense.
Saginaw Valley continues play at home on Saturday (Sep. 17) afternoon. The Cardinals face the Michigan Tech University Huskies (4-5, 1-0 GLIAC) are coming off a 3-0 sweep at Lake Superior State University on Friday night. First serve is set for 2:00 p.m. inside SVSU's Hamilton Gymnasium.
@SVSU_Volleyball | #svsuvball