INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. - Saginaw Valley split a pair of volleyball matches on Saturday (Sep. 10) at the University of Indianapolis Invitational. The Cardinals claimed a five-set thriller over Truman State in the opening match of the day before falling 3-1 to North Alabama in an evening match.
The opening match was closed-out by SV's .400 hitting percentage in the final frame to seal the team's fourth victory of the season.
Game One - Truman State (W, 3-2)
Set #1 - Truman 25, SVSU 21
Set #2 - SVSU 25, Truman 20
Set #3 - SVSU 25, Truman 18
Set #4 - Truman 25, SVSU 23
Set #5 - SVSU 15, Truman 10
Inside the Boxscore
- Kaylee Schmitt was named the Chili's Player of the Match after a season-high 17 kills, .381 hitting percentage and four blocks. She had just one attack error in 42 swings.
- McKenzie Schuster added 13 kills and four blocks.
- Tamara Heller tossed-in a dozen kills and 13 digs with a pair of aces.
- Emily Nieman topped yesterday's career-high of 27 digs by one, notching 28 in the Truman match.
- Kelly Vellucci had 47 assists in the contest while Kennedy Marker had a match-high six blocks.
From Head Coach Will Stanton
"Our serve receive was solid and that allowed our offense to be effective. They have quite a few offensive weapons, but we served well and that made our defense's job much easier. We had to stand up to several of their adjustments and runs and we did that well this morning.
Game Two - North Alabama (L, 3-1)
Set #1 - UNA 25, SVSU 22
Set #2 - UNA 25, SVSU 18
Set #3 - SVSU 25, UNA 21
Set #4 - UNA 26, SVSU 24
Inside the Boxscore
- Schmitt had another stellar performance in the second contest of the day. She hit at a .351 clip with 15 kills, adding seven blocks. That earned her Chili's Player of the Match plaudits once again.
- Heller posted 10 digs and eight kills.
- Nieman had 20 digs while Andrea Brigham added 12 with eight kills.
- Vellucci had 35 helpers, 10 digs and five kills.
Saginaw Valley (4-4) opens the conference portion of the 2016 schedule this upcoming weekend at home. The Cardinals face Northern Michigan Friday (Sep. 16) in a 7:00 p.m. matchup before squaring-off against Michigan Tech Saturday in a 2:00 p.m. tilt.
@SVSU_Volleyball | #svsuvball