UNIVERSITY CENTER, Mich. – The SVSU volleyball team hosted the Grand Valley State University Lakers in a Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) matchup Friday night at SVSU's Cardinal Gym. After jumping out to a 2-0 advantage, the Cards overcame a third set Lakers win and came back in the fourth set to seal a 3-1 victory over the visitors.
Saginaw Valley opened the match with a 25-21 win in the opening set, using four kills apiece from Kaylee Schmitt and Andrea Brigham on the offensive end, with Schmitt adding a pair of blocks. Kelly Vellucci added 10 digs to help anchor the defense while Brooke Tiller and Tamara Heller also added eight digs-apiece.
Kennedy Marker had a team-best three kills in the second set, leading SVSU to a 25-22 win to push the lead out to 2-0. Vellucci added another five digs and Schmitt two more blocks defensively.
Grand Valley cut the deficit in half after posting a 25-21 win in the third frame, using four kills from Betsy Ronda. SV got four kills from Heller and six digs from Vellucci and Emily Nieman.
The Cardinals fell behind 16-11 in the fourth set, but Brigham stepped up and took serve for the home squad. She served nine consecutive points for SV, giving it a 21-16 edge in the set. The team would continue the momentum and close out for a victory by a score of 25-16 in the set and 3-1 for the match.
Inside the Boxscore
- Schmitt had a match-best 14 kills and added a match-high seven blocks as well.
- Morgan Eddy and Brigham also reached double-digits in kills, with Eddy posting 11 and Brigham 10. Eddy hit .360 for the match and added a pair of blocks while Brigham had 19 digs.
- Heller posted nine kills, 21 digs and two blocks.
- Vellucci had a match-high 26 digs, 40 assists and added a two blocks.
- Tiller added 18 digs while Nieman chipped-in with 12 digs on the defensive end.
- The Cardinals posted a 97-86 edge in digs for the match while the Lakers out-blocked SVSU by a 22-15 margin.
Chili's "Player of the Match"
From Head Coach Will Stanton
Up Next for the SVSU...
Saginaw Valley hosts the Ferris State University Bulldogs Saturday (Nov. 14) afternoon in another key GLIAC North Division matchup. First serve is set for 2:00 p.m. in the Cardinal Gym. SVSU will be honoring its pair of seniors, Brooke Tiller and Morgan Eddy, prior to the match. The Bulldogs (27-2, 16-1 GLIAC) are the regular season GLIAC Champions and are coming off a 3-1 victory at Wayne State on Friday night.